California Dreaming/Shopping Choices

It all started innocently enough as a casual conversation around the campfire with Margo in Northern California. We were talking about the new shampoo bars that eliminate using plastic bottles and now I find myself sharpening my awareness every time I make a purchase. I find myself taking stock of how I buy. It is not that I don't recycle or compost or buy at second hand stores. I have been doing this for decades yet taking stock of how much plastic there is in my purchases has been a big eye opener for me. The last few weeks I find myself discriminating against every purchase I am making that is wrapped in plastic. I ask the question: can I make a better choice and how can I do that differently. I realize a couple of my purchases I was operating from my taste buds like Trader Joe's fancy Kalmata olives drench in lemon and herbs wrapped in a plastic bag rather than a glass jar of olives. I have always been an organic gardener, one that never used herbicides or pesticides from the beginning of 1970. For the last few years I went to buy about 90% organic food when I shop. My choice became more refined. Now I am stepping up to the plate for the next level of being a discriminate shopper. My goal for this moment is to eliminate 75% of my plastic consumption. That means more bulk buying not only the food items but also the household products that can be bought in bulk. This means washing out more jars and peeling off labels. How I wish the Chinese would make a label without everlasting glue! If you are too busy, get your kids to help make it a family project for their future. Just Imagine if 75% of people did this and also planted one tree each year....How would our planet change? We are not powerless if we are collectively willing to change. "The times are a changin"...Bob Dylan Since I am on the subject of better shopping choices I like to share my form of soap opera, cleaning my house in a simple, natural way. Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap was the choice of any self respecting hippy back in the 60s. My friendSkip Ortner reminded me of this one day during a visit. Skip told me about his friend Robbie who used it for everything. And if you take the time to actually read the label it has a long list of uses. I found it was great to scrub the bathtub ring and anything in the bathroom. I used to get it in bulk at the local store yet they stopped offering it after Covid. I like products that have many uses: scrubbing floors, delicate wash, used for the bathroom and for a good shower. Dr. Bronner does the job. Herbal Vinegars I used to clean my entire house from wood cabinets, floors, draining boards, windows and if added to the last rinse in the wash it becomes a fabric softener. It's simple to make and the smell lingers like Mother Nature's perfume. My children still have fond memories walking into the house and the herbal smell of lavender, rosemary and thyme after cleaning day. These herbs have been used as a disinfectant since the days of the Medieval plague. My new choice this month to reduce my plastic consumption is trying the shampoo bars that package in paper. This is a new experience for me to use a shampoo bar. I was surprised it did not leave my hair dry, yet I am new to this product yet I am open if I do not have to buy another plastic bottle again. I make some of my house cleaning products but I find for myself I like to have one product that does it all. This cleaner is worth mentioning for cleaning sinks or tubs. I cup Baking Soda, 2 teaspoons of Cream of Tartar, 1/8 cup Borax and 1/4 cup of grated lemon peel... Mix it all together and store it in a glass jar and use it like a cleanser. This stuff does not only smell great but it really works. Below are some links to a great book of Making your own Natural home cleaners which cuts down on your plastic use and also your pocket book.

Comments

Popular Posts