St. Hubert and My Family


Holy Card is Christ, St. George and St. Hubert 

Some of you may remember my story of the St. Hubert and the white deer I wrote a few days ago, finding out he was one of my ancestors. The memory of the ancestors are deep in our DNA and influence the decisions we make and even our natural gifts. These ancestral memories influence us even if we are not aware of who our ancestors are. This morning over my cup of organic French Roast I had a memory of a story my father told me some years ago. It is my father's lineage that goes back to the nobility of France into 70 AD. I know this thanks to my grandson Atticus and my son Joshua that made this possible. Atticus school project one year was to research his ancestors. Joshua Biggins decided to fully dive into this project with his son and did the research of our ancestral lineage.  



Ok, back to the story of my Father, Jack. My father went hunting with some of the boys in the mountains. This was the thing to do if you wanted to bond with men in the 1950s. The small group of hunters split up some taking the higher ground to flush the deer down the hill. My father was sitting under a tree holding his rifle as still as can be and a doe came by. He did not move a hair or blinked an eye, he just watched the doe and she caught his eye. My father was taken by the doe's natural beauty and grace. Then the deer walked up to my father and nudge him with her wet nose. That was it! and from that day forward he never hunted another deer. Later the family moved to Northern California and he bought land and built a house. He use to put a salt lick out for the deer and made a pond so that they had water when they came to visit. There were many times I would meditate off the balcony of the bedroom and watch the deer unafraid. I just wonder if St. Hubert had his influence on my father's decision never to hunt again.
Photos by Sheenon Olson on Orcas Island at a family gathering. 


Chaplet of St. Hubert- link

Comments

Popular Posts