Green Saints St. Vivado of the Hollow Chestnut Tree




St Vivado was a hermit saint that lived in a Hollow Chestnut tree in the forest of Camporena, Italy where he lived early in the 14th century. His relics today are housed in the Chapel of Sancta Marie de Romitorio located in the forest of Camporena. Vivado is one of the Green Saints I have been praying to this summer to heal our forest lands. Most of the summer I spend on the back of a motorcycle camping, with my husband Matt, in a small little tent. I have seen a lot of damage in our forest here in the Northwest and Western Coastal lands of the USA, from fires to acres of clear cutting trees that leaves a barren waste land sprayed with herbicides. I began a practices of the Green Saints making small chaplets, writing prayers and saying many Ave Marias. It was in this process I was introduced to St Vivado of the Hollow Chestnut tree. Saint Vivado was devoted to his teacher Father Bartolo. When Father Bartolo contacted leprosy St. Vivado followed him to the leper colony. St Vivado cared for him until Father Bartolo's death. It was during this time St. Vivado continued to be taught by Father Bartolo. It was after Father Bartolo's death Vivado traveled to the Forest of Camporena in Northern Italy finding a large hollow chestnut tree which became his hermitage cell. He lived there for twenty years in solitude until a huntsmen found his dead body. When the huntsmen came back to the village of Monotone to tell the villagers of the story of finding the hermit, it was when he finished his story the bells of the village church mysteriously began ringing all by themself. The village brought St. Vivado's body back to the church and miracles began to happen after placing his body in a church tomb, a sure sign of Sainthood.I contemplated St. Vivado's life one day riding miles down the road holding on tight to Matt's waist as we travel the Oregon's Coastal Highway. I thought how much suffering and dying Vivado had seen in his life time. Then I thought about the Hollow Chestnut Tree. I could imagine St. Vivado looking at the inner walls of the tree. I could almost feel the hollowness of the tree as St. Vivado was in his Holy Sanctuary. It was after these contemplations I wrote this prayer with the help of Matt my husband dedicated to St. Vivado. St Viado of the Hollow Chestnut Tree Hear me in the forest. Oh hear me in the wind. Hear me in the Hollow deep within. The cycles and seasons come down through time yet in the Hollow you are free of the mind. Deep in the heartwood I did see God's Holy Hollow inside of me. Love is God's Presence its here for all. contained in the smallest seed to the towering tree. Love is the answer so simple so true. Love is found deep inside of you. Bless our forest and Bless our trees, Bless the birds and Bless the bees. Awaken those who are filled with greed. Love will help them plant the seed.

Comments

Popular Posts